Saturday, February 06, 2016

Drabble #3: A story in 100 words

The coroner stared at the corpse. Thirty, stunningly beautiful, and murdered. What a waste, he thought, and drew back the white sheet. His eyes travelled from her face to her curvaceous body and down to her long legs. He felt a familiar sensation. Why not? She was dead anyway. He locked the door and quickly undressed. He climbed onto the dissection table and was about to lower himself when he suddenly felt a sharp pain that took his breath away. He looked down and saw blood dripping from his genitals. And then he saw the bloodied scalpel in her hand.


Note: My good friend, Margot Kinberg, who introduced me to the world of drabbles a few years ago, has written some truly imaginative 50-word dribbles on her excellent blog Confessions of a Mystery Novelist... Click on the blog link to read them.

14 comments:

  1. Thank you for the kind words, Prashant! And this is a great story of yours. I really like that nasty, unexpected twist at the end!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Margot, you are welcome, and thank you too. This is nasty, I agree, though I wonder if it's proper to write this stuff.

      Delete
  2. Good one, Prashant. But proper? Definitely not. And please do not worry about it. You painted a vivid scene in just a few words, a scene that made me cringe. And that is what it is all about.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Elgin, I cringe every time I read it. I have never written anything like this. It was a spur of the moment thing. In fact, I was even toying with the idea of deleting the post. Thank you for the appreciation and encouragement. I feel better already.

      Delete
  3. This one grabs you by the ____! Dirty, but complete.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I liked the way you put that. Thank you, Oscar. Definitely "dirty," yes. I'm going to have to be more careful next time I pen a drabble.

      Delete
  4. Very good - keep them coming, Prashant!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much, Col. Glad you enjoyed it. Drabbles and Dribbles are interesting concepts, though I don't think they count for much in storytelling.

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. Thanks, Charles! I'm feeling a bit awkward about the piece, though.

      Delete
  6. Very descriptive piece and it makes you wonder what the coroner has done in the past.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Now that is one very nasty story indeed - ouch! Great stuff Prashant.

    ReplyDelete